17 February 2012

The 17th of February

February 17 is not a day i'm particularly fond of. For a purely selfish reason. Two years ago, my cousin went to be with the Lord. While i am very happy she is no longer burdened by the pain she endured her entire life, i question why she had to live with all that pain; why she had to leave us so early.


Everybody has those memories that maybe wouldn't make it into a top ten list, but it's a memory you will always cherish just the same.

I don't remember how old i was. I don't remember the year. I don't even remember where we were. I just remember it was morning, and Kierstin was pouring herself a cup of coffee. She was so much older and more mature than i was. I asked her what coffee tasted like, and she handed me her mug. She told me to try it.

I knew i would never drink coffee again.

Things have changed since then. I'm older, and i've actually developed a taste for the bitter stuff. I don't make coffee everyday, but every so often i'll pull out the ol' coffee maker.

Well, imagine my surprise this morning when i read today is National Cafe au Lait Day. Yep. It's a thing. And it's today, of all days.

Meet Coach Gordon Bombay. Gordon, for short.
I have a tattoo as a memorial to Kierstin--a lover of ducks, and i think about her everyday. And today, i had to make myself some coffee. Not only to celebrate this food holiday (man, who doesn't love a good food holiday?), but to feel a little closer to Kierstin and remember that morning so many years ago when she made me try coffee for the first time.

And yeah, maybe i cried over a cup of coffee. Try telling me you wouldn't do the same.

2 comments:

  1. awww sweetie! it is just lovely the way you celebrate your loved one. brought tears to my eyes. and what a perfect food holiday to fit your memory <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's these kind of memories that are the most important to cherish and celebrate. I hope the coffee warmed your heart a bit on this day.

    ReplyDelete